TRANSFORMING
THE WALLS INTO DOORS!!!
"Speaking corporately, it’s easier
to say “changing obstacles into opportunities”.
Now, I am very well aware to share
with you that there are a billion people going hungry today. I know that this
year a million people will commit suicide. That is one every 40 seconds. I know
today there are one hundred and twenty slaves or servants and I have met at least
five. I have had an opportunity to see people at the top of the pyramid as far
as business is concerned and I have sat with the billionaires courtesy of AUN (it
was an amazing experience, seating and chatting with the prestigious board of
trustee members). I have met bankers and I have also met orphans. We are all
looking for something. We are all looking for hope. Hope you can’t just have because
you were born with hope. No we are born with pain. We are born and we live
through difficulties. In life, I have come to know that even though we don’t know
why we were born or the way we were born, that we have a choice either to be
angry for what we don’t have or to be thankful for what we do have. The power
of that choice was the first thing that I had to overcome and decide for
myself, especially in the early years of school. A lot of kids would come up to
me and tease me. They rubbed your pain at your face as if the pain you already
lived with was not enough; they just had to remind you consistently. To some of
us that pain could have been academic failure, having a single parent, coming
from a poor background, I could go on and on about this. Today I can call
myself a proud ambassador of my school, and all my life endeavors is to make an
impact wherever I find myself, and putting smiles on as many faces that I can
in my own little way has become more than a duty; it is my hobby. I have realized
that we do not necessarily need to have the best of everything or all our heart
desires fulfilled to be happy. When we feel like we don’t have enough love and
we don’t have enough hope, we start losing strength to live. For me in my life
as a child, I had a big wall. I was surrounded by four walls and a low ceiling
of opportunity. We all have our walls and whether you like it or not, there
would always be opportunities no matter how little. It may not be what you
asked for or what you were expecting. You may have parents that provide for
your needs, yet you feel like you are not loved because they don’t spend time
with you, they don’t encourage or inspire you, they don’t tell you how proud
they are to have you as a child or how beautiful you are. You don’t see them to
talk about the stuff that borders you. To talk about the professor at school,
that boy or girl you like, your ambition, and many others. Now don’t get me
wrong, they don’t do all of this because they deliberately want to hurt us, but
because they were born into a culture were the best way parents can express their
love is by provision. Thus all they do is strive as hard as they could to make
sure they all meet that expectation as their fathers and forefathers have done.
The world is a hurting place and the world needs love and the world needs hope.
Without hope, we feel like ‘why are we here? Well “BROKENESS” I have mine and
you have yours. Some are visible and some others are not. Today I may still be
lacking in one part of my life, but everything has changed. What are you
looking for? For me I was looking for love and happiness and I couldn’t see it
for many years. In fact if this side of the room represents my hope, truth
encourages me to become all that I can be. But then we have lies every day,
coming in our minds, people will discourage us. You know the people that you
have in your life who no matter how good of a day you are having, they will
bring you down? Or no matter how bad of a day you are having, they will bring
you even lower. Think of the three biggest discourages in your life. They are
not your biggest discourages. You are. It only takes three seconds for me to
tell you something that will discourage you, but then you may never forget my
words. I have met women in their mid forties and fifties who still remember what
their fathers told them that they wish they had never heard. Words are very
powerful. And when you hear those words, and then your mind starts growing with
these lies. Dorin you are no good enough, just quit trying, just give up, you
will never get that admission, go learn a trade, school is not for everyone,
you won’t find a man to marry you with your feminist attitude and so on. I’m
pretty sure one out of ten of us seated here today would have contemplated
suicide once because we didn’t have hope. We thought we didn’t have hope. Every
single human being has value, and my value is not determined by how I look or
what job I have, or where I’m from, where I was born, by whom I was born, all
that stuff is nothing. Every day we live, the choices we make will affect our
lives, other peoples’ lives and our eternal lives. We all have to come to the
truth of knowing who we are here. William Barkley, he said the greatest two
days of our life is the day you were born and the day you knew why. I don’t know
what you are looking for in life, but I know that life doesn’t always give us
what we want. We don’t always get the miracle we pray for, but if only we
realize that when we don’t get a miracle, your life can be a miracle for
someone else. People look at you or hear your story and they find a reason to
live again, a reason to find hope, a reason not to quit…I am not a super hero, I
go through ups and downs and so do you but take one day at a time and if you haven’t
found that peace of knowing who you are and why you are here and where you are
going when you are not here keep searching. For me, I want you to know that’s how
I have overcome. I don’t have any walls anymore. Not to bring out my pride, I don’t
have the best of everything, but I make the best out of every opportunity I get
and I hope you are inspired to know that if I can dream big, so can you. There
are no walls. Find your peace and you will make your walls doors.
Thank you so much!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment