The
Type Of People Who Do Not Deserve To Hear Your Secret Or Shame Story.
Ø You
may want to avoid the friend who hears your story and actually feels shame for
you, she gasps and confirms how horrified you should be then there is awkward
silence. Then you have to make her feel better.
Ø The
friend who responds with sympathy rather than empathy, I get it I know how you
feel and I have been there. Or the incredibly passive aggressive sudden version
of sympathy “Bless your hearth”
Ø The
friend who needs you to be the pillar of worthiness and authenticity, she can’t
help because she is disappointed in your imperfections because you have let her
down.
Ø The
friend who is so uncomfortable with vulnerability and then she scolds how did
you let this happen.
Ø The
friend who is all about making it better and out of her own discomfort refuses
to acknowledge that you can actually be crazy and make terrible choices; “you
are exaggerating the person says, it wasn’t that bad”
Ø The
friend who confuses connection with the opportunity to listen.
When you open
yourself up and you are vulnerable enough to share something that has shamed
you, you should be looking for that person or friend who loves you not despite
your vulnerability and imperfection but because of it. I’m looking for the
folks who will show up and walk down through rough part with me and I think it’s
important to have at least one of such a person. You can call on that person
any day any time and say I’m in a storm of epic proportion and regardless of
what the situation is, that person is willing and ready to see you through it.
Often times, we steam roll over those kind of people to get the attention and
appreciation of the people who would never show up for us like that. Always
trying to please or prove yourself to the wrong person. It’s hard to practice
compassion when we are struggling with our own authenticity or whether or not
our worthiness is off balance and this is why you must share your shame story
or secret with people who have earned the right to hear your story. That person
has to earn the right to hear your story because it’s an honor to hold space
for you when you are in shame. And when you share your shame story with that
person that gives you one of this six response and the person comes back a week
later to say “I’m sorry I had a lot going on in my own life and I couldn’t just
be there for you …that means even more because we can never have the right response
for everything at all times.
No comments:
Post a Comment